What does the course involve?
Our hugely popular annual 10-week Beginners' Course is designed to take you from non-runner to 5 miles in 10 weeks. It's also great for 'returning runners' to rebuild confidence and fitness. If you are currently happy running 5 miles or more then a better option for you would be to try running with the main club as guest for a week or two on a Tuesday session.
The next course starts at 7pm on a Tuesday early in May 2019 at Borderville Sports Centre on Ryhall Road. Watch this space for the actual starting date. From then each session is weekly: Tuesdays 7-8pm.
There is no need to pre-register - we just get you to sign in when you arrive - so if you're 18 or over and fancy giving it a go, just turn up and join us.
Beginners sessions are free for the full 10 weeks, with the option then of applying to become a member of the club. Club fees are £20 per year.
The sessions are led by experienced UK Athletics Coaches and Running Leaders who will be on hand to offer advice and support to help with your running development.
Each session will start with a gentle warm up then a jog/walk dependent on your current level followed by a cool down and question and answer feedback.
Everyone is extremely friendly and welcoming at Stamford Striders and would love for you to join them, so why not give it a go?
When do the classes start?
The 2019 Beginners Course starts at 7pm on a Tuesday in early May, date to be advised.
What do I need to wear and bring along?
There is no need to rush out and buy the latest technical clothing, shoes etc for the beginner sessions, just come along with a pair of trainers and clothes that you feel comfortable jogging in. If you wish, you can also bring a drink. Showers and changing facilities are available at Borderville if you require them.
During the weeks of the beginners sessions, the running leaders will give you more advice and handouts on buying the correct shoes, clothing etc. but at this stage, just come along and enjoy yourselves.
Where are the Sessions held?
The sessions are held at The Borderville Sports Centre on Ryhall Road, Stamford.
Parking is free, although the car park can become busy, so please walk/run down or car share if possible.
If you need motivation to start running, how about:
1. Burn calories and lose the belly. Dublin University researchers report that a 10 stone adult burns 391 calories in 30 mins of running compared to 277 cycling and 272 playing tennis.
2. Strengthen Bones. 15 mins of light jogging 3 times a week will reduce your risk of osteoporosis in later life by 40% according to the National Osteoporosis Society.
3. Get a Natural High. The Mental Health Foundation explain that mild to moderate exercise releases natural "feel good" endorphins that counter stress and literally make you happy!
4. Boost the Immune System. Moderate exercise makes immune cells more active and ready to fight off infection.
5. Really Breathe. When running you use about 10 times the amount of oxygen you would sat in front of the TV. Over time, regular jogging will strengthen the cardiovascular system, allowing your heart and lungs to work more efficiently.
6. See the Local Area. There are a myriad of paths and bridleways around the Stamford area to run, taking you to areas and sights you probably haven't seen before.
7. Get Quality Sleep. Stanford University asked sedentary insomnia sufferers to jog for 20 mins every other day, and saw results of time to fall asleep reduced by half and quality of sleep improved.
8. It's Not Elitist. The back markers in any race are cheered as much as the winners (well they have been running for longer than anyone else). Personal Best times are exactly that Personal.
9. Achieve your Goals. Some people run for distance or time. Others for health, weight or simply to relax. Setting and achieving personal goals in running will improve your self-discipline in life.
10. Meet New Friends. We pride ourselves on being a friendly, open and welcoming club. You will never run alone!
Each week at Beginners we had out a useful information sheet, if you have missed a week or lost the handout you can view / download using the links below1 How Do You Keep Running
2 Running shoes
5 Weight Loss
6 Returning after injury